First of Two Riviera Hotel Towers Set to Come Down June 14

The first of two hotel tower implosions at the Riviera will take place June 14, the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority said today.

The authority announced that the shuttered hotel-casino’s Monaco Tower will be imploded about 2 a.m. on that date, with a separate implosion of the Monte Carlo Tower planned for later this summer.

Officials have previously said the second implosion would likely occur in August. Before then, workers have to remove asbestos in the exterior of the Monte Carlo Tower, a process that will involve scaffolding the tower and creating an airtight wrapping around it.

Crews have already started bringing down other structures at the Riviera site. They’ve demolished the hotel’s two parking garages and have made progress on the convention center, according to an authority spokesman.

The authority approved a $42 million demolition contract with Las Vegas-based WA Richardson Builders LLC in April.

READ MORE AT LV SUN

About ronfutrell 542 Articles
33 years covering sports, news and entertainment in Las Vegas.