Worst mass shooting in US history: New York-born ‘Islamic extremist’ Omar Mateen, 29, shoots dead at least 50 at Florida gay club after taking 100 clubbers hostage – injuring a further 53
- WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
- Suspected Islamic extremist opened fire inside Pulse gay club in Orlando in the early hours of this morning
- Law enforcement sources have identified the shooter as US citizen Omar Mateen, from Port St. Lucie in Florida
- He killed at least 50 people and injured 53 and took party-goers hostage before being killed by police
- Shooter, 29, was carrying a suspicious device, possibly a suicide vest, when he began shooting in the nightclub
- Police used an explosive device to distract the gunman and rescue around 30 people who had been taken hostage
- Police engaged in gunfire with the man and an officer was shot in the head, but he was saved by his helmet
- FBI says gunman may have ‘leanings to radical Islamic terrorism’ and it is being investigated as ‘an act of terrorism’
- Took place four miles from where The Voice singer Christina Grimmie, 22, was shot dead at The Plaza Live on Friday
The suspected Islamic extremist who killed about 50 people after taking party-goers hostage inside a gay club in Orlando has been identified.
Law enforcement sources have identified the shooter, who was wielding an AR-15 assault rifle and a handgun, as US citizen Omar Mateen, 29, from Port St. Lucie in Florida.
The gunman, who was born to Afghan parents, was carrying a suspicious device, possibly a suicide vest, when he opened fire on the dance floor inside Pulse in the early hours of this morning.
At least 50 people were killed and 53 others were injured in the shooting in the deadliest mass shooting in US history.
An FBI spokesman said the mass shooting is being investigated as an act of terrorism, adding that they are looking into whether this was an act of domestic or international terror, and if the shooter was a lone wolf.
The FBI believe the gunman, who was shot dead by officers, may have ‘leanings to radical Islamic terrorism’.
The killings took place less than four miles from where The Voice singer and YouTube star Christina Grimmie, 22, was shot dead at The Plaza Live in Orlando on Friday.